Asda Members - Tax Underpayment

17 Jul 2013

Asda members - Tax underpayment

Have you received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) informing you that you have underpaid your tax?

GMB both regionally and nationally are aware of the issue of HMRC writing to Asda Colleagues whether you are paid hourly or salaried, to inform you that you have underpaid tax during the year 2012/2013.  Please be assured that this matter is urgently being communicated by our National Officer with Asda, and further updates will follow. Importantly, please be aware that you are responsible for paying tax to HMRC.  This would include any underpaid tax which they have a right to claim.

Should you choose to write to HMRC please find below wording which may be used when communicating with them.  You should also ask for a breakdown of how the sum owed has been calculated and keep a copy of your letter:

To whom it may concern,


Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you regarding unpaid tax that you say is due for 2012-2013. In the first instance, I
would ask that you seek recovery of any tax due from my employer. I work for ASDA and they were
responsible for making the appropriate deductions for tax from my wages.
If ASDA have failed to make the right deductions for tax it is their mistake. It may be in failing to pay
the correct amount of tax for the year 2012-2013 my employer has failed to take reasonable care.
I was not aware there was a problem with my tax before being contacted by you. Any issue with tax
liability certainly was not communicated to me properly by my employer.
My union GMB has raised this matter with my employer and is seeking to establish all the facts as well
as find a way forward.
I believe that you too are in ongoing discussions with ASDA.
In the circumstances would you please confirm that I need take no further action at this stage.

Yours sincerely,

(keep a copy)